Photo courtesy of Bruce Hunt, www.brucehuntimages.com
Visit Historic downtown Elkin, where you'll find 6 restaurants, a funky urban winery, live music, gourmet goodies from imported chocolates to bakeries, and shops that offer books, ladies wear, Pennsylvania Dutch bulk food items, and more! Also, did you know Elkin is an antique hub with 5 shops filled with treasures from the past?
In summer, float down the Yadkin River in kayaks, canoes or tubes. We offer access at Crater Park's boat ramp with a campsite for Yadkin River explorers to stop for the night during their journey down the river! Elkin boasts 3 major trails come through the downtown (Overmountain Victory Trail, NC Mountains to Sea Trail, and Yadkin River Trail). A Civil War Marker is located across the street from the library for history buffs. We also have new murals scattered around downtown, which were painted in 2013, some telling the stories of our past.
Plans are underway for a new heritage trails museum downtown at the Smith Phillips building one block south of Main St, and a new banquet facility opened recently, called The Liberty, located on E Main St. Events such as weddings and corporate events can be held for parties up to 550 (seated). It also offers a restaurant and soon, a microbrewery will open. Check on their website for scheduled live music events.
To see downtown's events for the year, go to www.downtownelkin.com.
Need 12 reasons to come to Elkin's
historic downtown? We've got 'em!
1. The Reeves Theater is being renovated into a 300-seat live music venue scheduled to open in fall 2017!
2. Imported chocolates, coffee shops, and downtown bakeries (on W Main St and on Standard Street)!
3. Car Rallies and Monthly Cruise-Ins on Main Street during summer and fall.
4. Annual Yadkin Valley Pumpkin Festival (crafts, antique vendors, car show, quilt show and more!) during the 4th weekend in September along Main Street. This year (2016) the Big Elkin BeerFest will be after the festival at our Municipal Park, a few blocks away.
5. Fun, fantastic art festivals and gallery openings, plus Kidsfest every summer at the Foothills Arts Council. Beautiful art galleries in downtown offer Art Hikes once a month with live music.
6. Funky microbrewery to explore downtown and 5 other wine tasting rooms only minutes from Main Street. Southern on Main has a full bar, too!
7. Unique dining, pub fare, sports bar, local hangouts, soda shoppes, great food!
8. Every Saturday morning 9 am-noon the Elkin Farmers Market is open for business and is located at the Elkin Town Hall parking lot, from mid-April to end of October. Most weekends also offer live music. (www.elkinfarmersmarket.com)
9. Free WiFi on Main Street, the Farmers Market and at Crater Park (kayak boat ramp).
10. Walking tours include murals, architectural features, galleries, and Start with your Heart walking trail.
11. Dog friendly restaurants (Southern on Main & Fiddles Pub), and microbrewery (Angry Troll) with outdoor seating. Doggie waste bags are also stationed around downtown for dog walkers.
12. Fun Christmas Parade and Light Up Night events downtown in December. At the Foothills Arts Council's Open Air Art Market there is a magical event like no other in the region. Elkin's Community Christmas Chorus also performs each December, and there is also an annual Christmas Parade down Main Street in December!
Restaurants & more
Dining in Downtown:
1. Southern on Main is the newest restaurant in downtown Elkin offering delicious southern cooking for lunch and dinner. it is in the old 21 & Main location offering great atmosphere for a special night out. Reservations are accepted. Full bar and outside covered dining available. Closed Sundays & Mondays.
2. Royall's Soda Shoppe- Local old-fashioned diner serving lunches & ice cream treats. Wide variety on their menu and reasonably priced. Hot soups in winter. Closed on Sundays. Now open till 4pm on Friday and Saturday evenings and even later during special events on Main St.
3. Fiddles Pub- Pub fare and pizza for lunch and dinner. Guinness on tap. Hours vary throughout the week. Beer and wine available. Indoor /outdoor seating. Owner also runs Blue Ridge Chocolates next door if you need to purchase chocolates, and the shop is closed. Beer/wine.
4. Harry's Place- Long time local's favorite serving lunches during the week, and dinner on Wednesday and weekend nights. Local dishes, veggies plates, burgers, and dinner menu includes steaks and crab legs. Closed on Sundays. Beer and wine available.
5. Roxxi and Lulu's Bistro & Bakery opened on Market Street but recently moved and is a restaurant and bakery on Standard Street. Open Tues - Sat, stop in for brunch / lunch entrees (9am to 3pm), yummy sweet treats, baked cookies, cupcakes, cake, sweet rolls, baklava, sonkers, cheesecakes, and specialty coffees or their famous fruit punch made daily. Indoor/outdoor seating.
6. Angry Troll Brewing at Two-Twenty-Two is a family sports bar/ restaurant located in an newly renovated "Liberty" building, a historical tobacco warehouse. It offers 11 + big screen TV's and finger foods, and stone fired pizzas. Open late till 11 pm or later, depending on which game is being cheered on or what band is playing! Located at 222 E Main Street. Beer and wine available. Closed Tuesday & Wednesday. Lunches Fri - Monday; Dinners Thursday - Monday.
7. Angry Troll Brewing offers a tasting room in the basement level of Angry Troll Brewing that is only open Fridays 5pm to 8pm and Saturdays noon to 8pm. Cozy atmosphere and flights of beer.
8. Barking Coyote Farm Store has a variety of items fresh baked using items from their farm. Brewed coffee is also offered to go. Located on W Main St.
9. Dirty Joe's Coffee specializes in coffee and espresso drinks (hot, cold, frozen) and special teas and Chai, all made to order, but also offers fresh baked items. Has indoor/outdoor seating. Located on E Market St.
10. Roxxi & Lulu's (see above under restaurants) offers unique selection of coffees on their menu, also offering espresso drinks. A large variety of baked goods and desserts, too. Located on Standard St.
11. Diana's Books & More offers a coffee bar with a variety of coffee options, both hot and cold. Limited seating is available. Located on W Main St. No food.
Festivals and Downtown Events
- Light Up Elkin (1st Friday in December)
- Open Air Art Market (1st weekend in December)
- Elkin/Jonesville Christmas Parade (2nd weekend in December)