Photo courtesy of Bruce Hunt, www.brucehuntimages.com
Visit Historic downtown Elkin, where you'll find 6 restaurants, live music 3 nights a week, gourmet goodies from imported chocolates to bakeries, and shops that offer books, ladies wear, Pennsylvania Dutch bulk food items, and more!
In summer, float down the Yadkin River in kayaks, canoes or tubes. We offer access at Crater Park's boat ramp with a primitive campsite for Yadkin River explorers to stop for the night during their journey down the river! Elkin boasts 3 major trails through the downtown (Overmountain Victory Trail which is part of the National Park system, NC Mountains to Sea Trail, and Yadkin River Trail). A Civil War Marker is located across the street from the library for history buffs.
A new heritage trails center called the Yadkin Valley Experience is one block south of Main St, and a gorgeous banquet facility opened, called The Liberty, located on E Main St. Events such as weddings and corporate events can be held for parties up to 500 (seated). It also houses a microbrewery and restaurant. The Reeves Theater showcases live music every weekend for visitors.
Elkin's historic district has also been a proud member of the North Carolina Main Street Program since April 1998 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (since 2000).
As a Main Street America™ Accredited program, Elkin is a recognized leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. All Main Street America™ Accredited programs meet a set of National Accreditation Standards of Performance as outlined by the National Main Street Center.
Need 12 reasons to come to Elkin's
historic downtown? We've got 'em!
1. The Reeves Theater has been newly renovated and can seat up to 290 people! Live music or classic movies every weekend! Tuesday night is a free Open Mic Night with fantastic local talent.
2. Imported chocolates, coffee shops, and downtown bakeries.
3. Car Rallies and Monthly Cruise-Ins on Main Street May through October.
4. Annual Yadkin Valley Pumpkin Festival (crafts, antique vendors, car show, quilt show and more!) during the 4th weekend in September along Main Street.
5. Explore Elkin's FOOD TRUCK FRIDAYS and LIVE MUSIC AT THE MARKET events occur monthly at our Farmers Market shelter from May to October (excluding July). They also schedule a monthly block party on Main Street! www.exploreelkin.com
6. Angry Troll Brewery & Restaurant offers a tasting room below (open Fri - Sun). Fiddles Pub (at West end of Main Street) serves up Guinness on tap. Southern on Main has a full bar and sometimes offers late night Karaoke or live music. The November Room offers exotic wine drinks (and coffee bar), and local wine sold by the bottle, or to go! The Reeves Theater has a beer/wine bar open during events (Tues, Fri & Sat nights). More locations for night life to open soon! Plus Elkin has 5 other wine tasting rooms and one microbrewery 3-8 minutes from downtown!
7. Unique dining, pub fare, sports bar, farm-to-table, local hangouts, soul food, soda shoppes, great food! Many locations offer outdoor seating. Some open on Sundays, too!
8. Every Saturday morning 9 am-noon the Elkin Farmers Market is open for business and is located at the Elkin Town Hall parking lot, from mid-April to end of November. Most weekends also offer live music. Learn more here!
9. Free Downtown WiFi along Main Street, at the Farmers Market and at Crater Park (kayak boat ramp).
10. Walking tours downtown include murals, architectural features, galleries, history markers, OVT & MST trails, literary quotes, and Start with your Heart walking trails.
11. Dog friendly restaurants (Southern on Main, Fiddles Pub), and microbrewery (Angry Troll) with outdoor seating. Doggie waste bags are also stationed around downtown for dog walkers, and some locations have dog water bowls set outside. Downtown events are dog friendly too!
12. Holiday Art Market & Light up Elkin is scheduled the first weekend of December. Elkin's Community Christmas Chorus also performs each December, and there is also an annual Christmas Parade down Main Street on the 2nd Sunday in December!
Restaurants & more
Dining in Downtown:
1. Southern on Main offers delicious southern cooking for lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch and offers an more upscale atmosphere for a special night out. Reservations are accepted. Full bar and outside covered dining available. Open 7 days a week, and their 2nd floor bar is open on Saturday evenings for a fun, cozy hangout with a view!
2. Royall's Soda Shoppe- Local old-fashioned diner serving lunches & ice cream treats. Wide variety on their menu and reasonably priced. Hot soups in winter. Closed on Sundays. Now open till 4pm on Friday and Saturday evenings and even later during special events on Main St.
3. Fiddles Pub- Pub fare and pizza for lunch and dinner. Guinness on tap. Hours vary throughout the week. Beer and wine available. Indoor /outdoor seating. Owner also runs Blue Ridge Chocolates next door if you need to purchase chocolates, and the shop is closed. Beer/wine.
4. Harry's Place- Long time local's favorite serving lunches during the week, and dinner on Wednesday and weekend nights. Local dishes, veggies plates, burgers, and dinner menu includes steaks and crab legs. Closed on Sundays. Beer and wine available.
5. Angry Troll Brewing at Two-Twenty-Two is a family sports bar/ restaurant located in an newly renovated "Liberty" building, a historical tobacco warehouse. It offers 11 + big screen TV's and finger foods, and stone fired pizzas. Open late till 11 pm or later, depending on which game is on TV or what band is playing! Located at 222 E Main Street. Beer and wine available. Closed Tuesday & Wednesday. Lunches Fri - Monday; Dinners Thursday - Monday.
6. Angry Troll Brewing offers a tasting room in the basement level of Angry Troll Brewing that is only open Fridays 5pm to 8pm and Saturdays noon to 8pm. Cozy atmosphere and flights of beer. You can take your food order from the restaurant down to the tasting room as well.
7. Nana's Family Restaurant is the newest downtown restaurant to open in January 2019! They serve country cooking and plate dishes. Open every day for breakfast and lunch, starting at 6 am, except on Sunday's at 11 am.
8. The Reeves Theater not only offers live music shows every Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday, they also have a cafe and bar. The cafe serves farm-to-table menu items that change weekly. They also offer seating indoors or outside under the marquee.
9. Barking Coyote Farm Store has a variety of items fresh baked using items from their farm. Brewed coffee is also offered to go. Located on W Main St, but will be relocating in downtown on S Bridge St, behind Comb's Butcher Shop in 2019.
10. Dirty Joe's Coffee specializes in coffee and espresso drinks (hot, cold, frozen) and special teas and Chai, all made to order, but also offers fresh baked items. Has indoor/outdoor seating and a nice view. Located on E Market St.
11. Diana's Books & More offers a coffee bar with a variety of coffee options, both hot and cold. Limited seating is available. Located on W Main St. No food.
12. The November Room is the newest place to hangout on East Main Street (and shop!) with a specialty coffee or wine drink! Plenty of seating to relax with friends, and they are open later during summer hours and for fun crafting classes all year long.
Festivals and Downtown Events
- Light Up Elkin (1st Friday in December)
- Holiday Art Market (1st weekend in December)
- Elkin/Jonesville Christmas Parade (2nd weekend in December)
- Community Chorus, 2nd Sunday in Advent.