Elkin trails through town... Hike/ BIKE/ PADDLE/ BIRD WATCHING... we have it all!
Elkin has a beautiful, historic downtown with various trails flowing along and through it.
- For a list of Elkin Trail Markers from downtown toward the municipal park heading to Stone Mountain State Park, please click here.
- For a list of trails, parks and historical markers in downtown Elkin, please click here.
This photo to the right is of Elkin's newly groomed trail that starts in Elkin's Municipal Park near the Hwy 268 overpass. The trail starts behind the Rec Center and continues up Big Elkin Creek...and was groomed by volunteers from the Elkin Valley Trails Association. Other trails in and around Elkin are listed here.
Learn about the Elkin Valley Trails Association by clicking here.
Elkin's portion of the Overmountain Victory Trail....
History lovers will enjoy the visit!
The historic Overmountain Victory Trail (OVT) is a federal linear park, which follows the route of the Overmountain Men as they made their way to the Battle of King's Mountain in the Revolutionary War.
This trail begins at Elkin Municipal park, crosses Elk Spur Street and then runs along Elkin Creek between the historic Galloway Episcopal Church and the Elkin Public Library. Across Main St, it continues to the RR tracks then westward to N Wilkesboro.
Look for the OVT logo along the trail to keep you on the right path.
Elkin's portion of the NC MST trail....from municipal park through Main Street!
For more information about the NC Mountains to Sea Trail, please visit http://www.ncmst.org/ . This path was newly redirected into Elkin and onto Main Street in historic downtown Elkin. In 2017, the FMST will have their annual conference here in Elkin, celebrating all the wonderful things to do along the trail and in the region.
Cycling in / around Elkin:
Five beautiful bike rides in the heart of Yadkin Valley Wine country.
1. 31 mile loop south through Swan Creek area vineyards with rolling terrain and a few strenuous hills
2. 50 mile loop north through Mountain Park area vineyards with rolling terrain and numerous strenuous hills and one mountain.
3. 71 miles east and north of Elkin passing numerous vineyards, rolling terrain with a number of strenuous hills.
4. 100 miles north, south and east with rolling terrain and numerous strenuous hills. 7,000 feet of climbing.
5. Elkin's own hiking trail (starting at the Rec Center) leads to a 4 mile mountain bike trail. There are two entreances to the mountain bike trail. Cyclists, please choose the entrance that says "open". Hikers, choose the entrance that says "closed" so you can see the cyclists coming towards you and move out of their way.
Go to: http://yvtdv.com/theRide.html for details and maps of each ride.
Paddling options in / from Elkin:
Four Great Paddles on the Yadkin
Paddle shuttle and outfitter services: